January 9, 2011

Fire Truck?

I just have a short story to share. This morning we woke up to four inches of snow, got ready for church and drove into town. Upon arrival to the nursery, where we drop off Freyja, she decided she did not want mom or dad to leave today. This is very unusual for her so we just put the kibosh on staying. By now, it was only 9:30 and Jon had a soccer game at 11:00. Since we live a ways out of town, we went to The Woods for a coffee and muffin. Freyja had a great time running around waving hello to everyone. At 10:30 we arrived to the indoor soccer field and had to wait 20 minutes before the game in session ended. I could tell that Freyja was getting tired and asked a friend if he could drive Jon home if I had to leave early with Freyja. Well, about 40 minutes later and a whole lot of crying, I decided to drive home. Freyja and I made is safely and she proceeded to sleep for three hours! I was relaxing on the couch, surfing the internet for a while when I thought it had been a little too long for Jon to out after is soccer game. I didn’t really give it much thought thinking maybe they stopped somewhere for lunch - no biggie. Well, not a minute later, a fire truck pulls up in front of my house. My first thought was that an ambulance must be behind it. No. Then I thought, hmmm, maybe they are just checking fire hydrants since the weather had taken a turn for the worse. No. My husband, our friend and his two sons come around the back of the fire truck. WHAT?!? They seemed fine and were walking so I asked what happened. They told me their story about sliding off the road and that the car behind them was this fire truck who was out giving rides to those stuck in the snow and ice. I feel terrible that I had to leave early with Freyja, but what can you do. At least everyone is okay. Just so you know, Jon took our friends home safe and sound. As for Jon going to work tomorrow, we’ll see what happens in the morning. I don’t really want to have the fire truck come to my house again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment